ad

Monday, May 9, 2011

New Phyrexia Prerelease

New Phyrexia cards are known for quite some time but I have to admit that I did not really care much. I knew the Japanese scanned cards well but not the rest which was released soon after. I did not know what SOM + NPH would bring.

I opened all the boosters and went quickly through them to see what I could play and I did not see cards like shatter, divine offering or anything else that destroys artifacts. At first I did not see any other removal but later I discovered Parasitic Implant and Grim Affliction. This had to do. Rares were well playable but nothing that was worth any money it seemed till I got to the very last card of the last booster in which I opened a foil Venser.

My deck had two indestructible creatures + Etched Champion that could get Protection from Colors. These creatures had to buy me enough time so I could get to Carnifex Demon or Steel Hellkite as those cards were the only real finishers I had. And if possible play the black 'destroy all creatures' card. Soul Eater and Suture Priest were helping me in staying alive and it worked more or less.

In my first round I played against Boros deck with equipments. The best card of the deck was batterskull and I had no way destroying it. The player always had a creature with several equipments on it and was attacking each turn for 11-12. I was blocking with Darksteel myr, later with Darkesteel Sentinel and then I even had Etched Champion for some other creates. He got Kemba who was creating little cats so I had to be blocking those, they actually dealt some serious damage. I was hoping my opponent wouldn't get a creature with infect or trample. He got the little Goblin that gets +2 for each equipment and has trample. Later he managed to play few creatures with infect. I (after having 13 lands in play out of 16) was rather angry and wanted something that would finally solve my problem and hopefully got Life's Finale. That card would take care of all creatures but one that would still kill me. I planned playing Parasitic Implant and block that a lot/a lot infect creature and hope to stay alive till the end of the round. My opponent ended with 167 life.

In the second round I played against a token deck. The deck had three Shrine of the Loyal Legions and it was capable of creating golems as well. My only hope was too play Life's Finale at the right time and manage to win somehow after that before my opponent creates more myrs. I also had the same mana flood problem as in the previous round. After I won the first game I checked the number of the lands and it was indeed 16...It should work. I managed to win the second game as well.

In the third round Lukas (with the best standing) was paired down and played against me. He did not want to lose against me and was rather upset about that. But well my deck was unable to deal with artifacts and Sword of War and Peace was too much for me to handle. Little 1/2 hover myr managed to kill me. In the second game I got a good draw and had to be as much aggro as possible to kill my opponent before he manages to get to his sword or other rare I couldn't handle. I won. In the third game I got rather interesting draw - I had cards that could deal with almost everything except the sword. I decided to keep the hand and see how it would fare. It fared fairly well till Precursor Golem showed up. In the meantime my opponent played Sword of Peace and War and again had the little annoying myr.

Fourth round I expected yet another annoying equipment - Batterskull (we knew the player had it). it was blue/red deck with flyers, equipments and burn. Among the equipments there was foil batterskull.
I won the first game as I easily got to 6 lands and had Steel Hellkite. In the second game I feared Spikeshot Elder in the combination of flyers I couldn't deal with. My best flyer that could do the damage race cost me 3 life and my opponent always bounced it back and made me lose yet another life. I also ran out of cards I could play because I ended up on 3 lands and couldn't draw any other. I needed something, I had Tezzeret's gambit on my hand but couldn't play it otherwise Spikeshot elder would kill me. I hoped that my opponent wouldn't draw his fourth mountain. In the end I managed to win.

WB something...

Alloy myr
Suture Priest
Parasitic Implant
Remember the Fallen
Grim Affliction
Blind Zealot
Blinding Souleater
Loxodon Convert
Darksteel Myr
Darksteel Sentinel
Blistergrub
Golden Urn
Glint Hawk
Origin Spellbomb
Arrest
Palladium Myr
Fume Spitter
Necrogen Scudder
Steel Hellkite
Carnifex Demon
Etched Champion
Tezzeret' Gambit
Phyrexian Metamorph
Life's Finale

No comments:

Post a Comment